5 Essential Long-Term Self Storage Tips
February, 26, 2020
If you’re downsizing, travelling or decluttering your home, you need a place to keep the items you want to keep safe and out of the way until they’re needed again. Self-storage units are one of the best options for long-term storage – they provide convenience, efficiency and safety, giving you peace of mind and saving you plenty of headaches.
To keep your belongings in excellent condition, it’s important to understand how to pack them safely for long-term storage. Packing them carefully will stop them from sustaining damage or losing their aesthetic appeal.
As self-storage experts, we’ve picked up some insightful packing tips over the years that we’re keen to share with you. Follow our essential long-term storage tips to keep your items safe and sound throughout their stay in a self-storage unit.
5 Long-Term Storage Tips
Here are 5 crucial steps to prepare your items for safekeeping.
1. Decide How Much Stuff You Need To Store
No matter your reason for seeking long-term storage, you’ll need to decide exactly which belongings you want to keep and how much you’ll need to store.
Before you start looking for a storage space, go through your possessions and evaluate each belonging:
- Will you or a family member need it ever again?
- Is it functional and convenient?
- Is it in good overall condition?
- Is it high-quality and durable?
- Is it expensive?
- Is it difficult to find or impossible to replace?
- Does it have sentimental value?
- Can you find a space for it in your garage storage? For detailed advice on how to make the most of your garage storage, read our garage organisation tips.
If the answer is yes to more than two of these questions, the item is worth keeping and you should find a safe, efficient way to store it for future use, either in your home or a self-storage unit.
2. Find The Right Self-Storage Facility For Your Needs
First thing’s first, you’ll need to find the right self-storage facility for your needs.
A good self-storage facility will keep your belongings secure and protected from the elements. You also won’t need to worry about the items getting damaged, lost or stolen while not in your care.
Here are some things to consider when selecting a self-storage unit:
Self-storage unit size
Your self-storage unit should be large enough to accommodate your items without needing to cram them inside, but not so big that you end up paying for unused space. Storage units come in a variety of sizes, so you should be careful to choose a space that suits your storage needs.
For ease of your understanding, our storage units come in the following sizes:
- Large 4 bedroom (Molendinar)
- 4 bedroom (Currumbin and Molendinar)
- Large 3 bedroom (Molendinar)
- 3 bedroom (Currumbin)
- Hard-stand (Molendinar)
- Large 2 bedroom (Currumbin and Molendinar)
- Medium 2 bedroom (Currumbin)
- Small 2 bedroom (Currumbin)
- Large 1 bedroom (Currumbin and Molendinar)
- Medium 1 bedroom (Currumbin and Molendinar)
- Small 1 bedroom (Currumbin and Molendinar)
- Remnant (Currumbin and Molendinar)
Storage facility condition
Your items will be safer in a well-kept self-storage facility. The buildings should be clean, well-maintained, well-lit and protected against pests and water leaks. There should also be drive-up access and ample parking space for greater convenience.
Your chosen self-storage facility should take the security of your belongings seriously with a strong fence and modern access gate, 24-hour surveillance, and security guards.
For more expert advice, read our expert guide on how to choose a self-storage unit.
3. Prepare Your Belongings For Long-Term Storage
Now that you’ve decided which items to pack and found a good self-storage space, it’s time to set up a good organisation system and clean your belongings. The importance of this step cannot be underestimated!
- Create a detailed inventory – Write a list of items. Record the type of item, number, its value and condition. Keep an electronic copy of the inventory list online for quick reference.
- Clean each item thoroughly – To keep pests at bay and prevent stains, wash all fabric materials, wipe wooden surfaces, disinfect appliances and vacuum upholstered furniture.
- Dry each item – Make sure all items are completely dry. Moisture can breed mould and create moisture damage.
4. Pack Your Items For Long-Term Storage Carefully
Now, we’ve arrived at the nitty-gritty. Taking the time now to pack and store your belongings carefully will ensure they’re perfectly preserved when you pull them out of storage in a few months or years’ time.
- Use sturdy cardboard boxes and avoid plastic bags
- Check for moisture
- Sell or throw away what you can
- Make copies of important documents
- Make sure boxes are stacked and labelled correctly
- Dismantle bulky furniture to reduce the risk of damage and save space
- Wrap fragile and valuable items individually in soft packing paper.
Want easy and simple instructions to follow? We’ve created a few resources to make your life easier. Simply follow our guides to packing different types of belongings:
- Guide to protecting and packing fragile items
- Guide to storing Christmas decorations
- Guide to storing winter clothing
- Guide to storing kitchen appliances
- Guide to storing antiques and collectibles
- Guide to storing art
- Guide to storing furniture
- Guide to storing camping gear
- Guide to storing electronics
5. Purchase storage insurance just in case
To add an extra layer of security, it might be worthwhile to invest in insurance to cover the items you store. Most reputable self-storage units will offer this as par for the course. If you opt to use More Space Storage’s storage facilities, our advisors can help you organise this.
Self-storage is the ideal place to store your belongings if you’re downsizing, travelling or decluttering your home. Get in touch with More Space Storage on 07 5594 9739 (Molendinar) or (07) 5598 3355 (Currumbin).